7/29/2009

Michael Jackson

One month later, I have something to say. I finally have the words to describe how I feel about someone so legendary. Someone with whom no one can compare. Someone for whom, maybe there are no words. There will never be another Michael Jackson and to some, that is a good thing. To me, it's heart breaking. Michael Jackson was a phenomenal entertainer, an amazing artist. He felt the percussion, the guitar, each song flowing through his veins. He was the music.

But more than that, Michael was compassionate, giving, and kind down to the soles of his patent leather shoes. He took blow after blow from the beginning of his career as a child to the very end but it never broke his idealistic (and maybe a little naive) nature. Michael cared about his fans, he cared about those who were not his fans, he cared about his enemies, he cared about the earth and nature. Did you know he's in the Guiness Book of World Records for being the pop star with the most contributed to charities? He was a man who stood his ground and said "I don't care how much you laugh or scoff, I will change the world." And he has. One person at a time. He is finding people homes and medicine through his organization. Even when The Heal the World Foundation dropped out of existence for several years, its volunteers kept working and raising money for its cause and then helped to put the foundation back together. They didn't quit or sit around and wait for another charity to throw money at. They worked hard. They had passion. And it all started with the heart of Michael Jackson.

What does that make you think? How does that make you feel? I am ashamed of my 10 year old self laughing with my friends and singing the variation of "Black or White." Michael Jackson took on a world of hurt from the public and from people he thought were his friends but he trudged forward in his need to heal the world. I can't help but watch all the interviews, the stories of Michael, all the media coverage and think "What did we do?" We were all bullies who endlessly picked on one person until he felt alone and isolated. But he never gave up his cause, his passion. Who do you know like this? Who do you know with so much character that they will stand up and fight for what is right even when everyone is throwing stones at them? Are you like this? As sad and shocking as the death of Michael Jackson was, I think it served to bring the real heart of Michael back to light. His legacy as an entertainer will live on forever through CD's, DVD's, and radio. But the more important legacy of his benevolence lives on through every person who gets out of their seat and go to work for a love of the people and the creation around them.

What do you want to do? Where do you specialize and shine? I know that I will do my best at never letting people sneak under the radar. I ask God as many times as I can remember to give me the eyes to see people the way He sees them. To give me the tenderheartedness to see the humanity even in the most irritating and rude people that I run into every day. I hope and pray that I recognize all opportunities that arise to help someone in need, even if it's just a listening ear for 30 seconds or a smile to someone who would've gone home and killed themselves had they thought that not one person cared. That is where my passion lies. Even though I'm shy and afraid of what everyone thinks of me, I will step outside of that and risk my pride and be who I am called to be.

What part of you are you constantly pushing down and fighting off in order to keep your comfort level? It's time to let that side show his or her face. It's time to be the change that you want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm back to blogging and very lonely! Let me know you were here!!