9/09/2008

I'm Cheating Today

I posted this on my other blog, but I wanted it on here, too. Even though it's not too "frilly." Enjoy some deep, important-to-life thinking today :-)

I read Dear Abby every day and here is what is said on Saturday:

DEAR ABBY: Please let the world know that kind people still exist. I was on my way to two job interviews. Not surprisingly, I was nervous, so before I got off my train, I took my phone out to check the directions to the first one. A short walk later, I reached the subway, but when I went into my purse for my wallet to buy a MetroCard, lo and behold, my wallet and new glasses were missing.
I retraced my steps and ran to the courtesy counter to ask if anyone had turned in my wallet and glass case. The woman in the booth told me the train was still in the station and to hurry there immediately to check for my things. Long story short, no luck.

Heartbroken, I returned to the courtesy desk. Not only would I miss both my appointments, but I was stranded with no money. I burst into tears as I explained the situation to the woman in the booth. Abby, she reached into her purse and handed me $7! "It's all I have right now," she said, "use it to get to your interviews." I went to my interviews and aced them both. When I came back to thank her, she was gone, but she had described me to the woman on the next shift who handed me a courtesy ticket home.

Abby, that woman's kindness was overwhelming. And just when the day couldn't get any better, I received a call. A conductor had found my wallet and glasses and would meet me on the train the next day.

I just want to share that kindness can happen when we least expect it. When it happens, we should pay it forward. -- S. SMITH, ASBURY PARK, N.J.


Abby's response was really corny so I'll spare you, but I just thought this was such an awesome story. I hope you see it as more than a heart warming story. See it as what the writer says: When someone does something nice for you, pay it forward. If no one has done anything nice, be the first to start the chain.

I feel like we have become so unfeeling and disconnected anymore. Wouldn't it be great if people just started being nice and compassionate toward everyone, even perfect strangers? There is a guy in my class that annoys me everytime I look at him. He just reminds me of someone that I don't like and he talks too much. He acts like he knows everything, and that is a huge pet peeve of mine. Last night, I just happened to glance at him while he was deep in thought about something and he just seemed so... human. I saw a person that I could love - not romantically, just someone I could be friends with and care deeply about. He made me realize how God must feel about us. He made us, but then somehow we ended up with all these annoying characteristics that would make even a mother stop loving her child. God sees that but he looks through it and sees how human and fragile we are and he loves us. He goes past the tough exterior and sees who we really are deep inside. I'm so happy when I get a glimpse into someone's soul and see them for the sweet, soft-hearted person they probably would be if I got to know them. It reminds me of how I come off at first glance to other people and how much I love it when others take the time to get to know me before judging my personality. Anyway, I'm rambling. I probably won't make another one of these "speeches" for at least another year. ha.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm back to blogging and very lonely! Let me know you were here!!