9/16/2008

This and That

The other day I was listening to the radio and someone requested "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mixalot. First of all, this is a terrible, demeaning song to women, but for some reason I stayed on the station and listened to the words. He mentions magazines being all about stick thin girls and how they tell us "normal" sized women are fat but he doesn't agree (he says this in a more rap and less lame way, but you get it). While most of this song is very dirty, I'm kind of happy that someone wrote a song about it being ok if we have some curves and meat on our bones. I just wish that I could feel that way when I look in the mirror because when I see a stick thin girl with a smallish bum and size B bust (like my roommate), I wish I could be her. When will I learn?

On to less depressing things. T and I went to an orchard/nursery on Saturday and bought a bunch of home grown veggies and fruit. I don't know why people waste their money at the grocery store on stuff that came all the way from California when you can get it less expensive and it came from someone's back yard. I couldn't find anyone that was selling broccoli which was sad. It's supposed to be in season here, but I could only find cauliflower. So I bought two heads of that, a ton of nectarines, purple grapes, acorn squash, butternut squash, and six ears of corn (I wasn't going to get it but I only hear good things about this particular farm's corn so I couldn't pass it up). I also bought yellow and red peppers on a whim and was pretty close to getting some yams and cooking onions when T told me to stop. I get on these kicks and I can't control myself. If someone isn't there to hold me back, I just buy everything and don't use it up in time. I have to get on with freezing this stuff though. I bought extra so I could do that and now I'm having the busiest week ever.

What about that two hours in the wetlands on a rainy day, you ask? Well, two hours turned into about one hour by the time we got there, and that was still much longer than needed. We were taken to one area which was very thick with mud and my teacher brought his dog. A big dog who likes swimming in ponds and romping through mud puddles. I was pretty convinced I was going to go sliding on my bum down a hill or fall on my face when we had to jump over a stream from one slippery hill to the other, but I did ok. The second watershed we went to was much grassier but we then had to walk through giant, wet wild flowers. I stared at the ground the whole time. It wasn't the little crickets that bothered me (of which there must have been billions! The grass appeared to move on its own and it wasn't windy!), it was the big spiders I knew must be lurking behind every weed I pushed out of the way. I tried my best not to spin around in circles looking for spiders to be crawling up my back or on my legs. I tried very hard to stay calm and look like I always stomp my way through tall grass in the middle of a fall hurricane remnant. I am not looking forward to any more of these science labs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for visiting my blog :o) Hope setting up you shop goes well. Pippa x

    ReplyDelete

I'm back to blogging and very lonely! Let me know you were here!!