9/04/2008

Nighttime Ponderings

I've been so tired the last couple of days. I have a cold which came out of nowhere. A few people at work have the same thing. So, by the time I get home from work or class (depending on which day it is), I'm ready to collapse onto the couch in front of the TV. I usually don't even have enough energy to eat something, which I'm sure doesn't help a cold. Well, maybe it does. Isn't the saying, "Starve a cold; feed a fever?"

Anyway, I went to a couple of geology classes and while the teacher is painfully boring and quiet, I find it a little interesting. Granted we're at the very beginning of the class where we learn about how the Universe, our solar system, and Earth were all formed and I don't necessarily agree with everything the scientists have come up with but it's fascinating nonetheless. I am also absolutely thrilled by maps, globes, tectonic plates...is that weird? We did start talking about rocks last night which was a little paralyzing with dullness. I hope this isn't how the entire semester will be now that we've actually gotten into the geological part.

What science is more about maps? That's what I want. Maybe geology will get into it later on.

I left the school last night in some kind of serene state of mind. It was mostly dark, with a little orange and pink to the south and I could see the sillouhette of an airplane passing through. With the dark trees framing the skyline, it was just really amazing. I wished I had a camera so I could share it with someone. I couldn't stop staring up but then I would realize that I was walking and I should pay attention lest I trip over a piece of broken sidewalk or run into another person. It was so quiet outside that any small sound was magnified several times. Even the sound of someone else's keys jangling 50 feet ahead sounded like they were standing right beside me. For some reason, fall and winter are so incredibly quiet at night; maybe there aren't as many animals and birds around to make noise? Whatever the reason, these are my favorite seasons to be outside at night. It's the most peace a person will ever find. The best time for thinking and realizing who you are and what you're about. I plan to spend many a night outside in the dark, clearing my mind and materializing where I've been and where I'm going; who I really am; what I really want; how I will get to where I want to be. Whenever I do this, I'm really looking forward to sharing it with you. Maybe anyone who reads this can try it too and we'll all share our experiences. It could be a fun/rewarding exercise, yes?

2 comments:

  1. hey, I have a cold lingering in the background lol! and my ickl babi (my youngest son) has one too and my hubby who is in Africa developed one. My dad has flu and my mates hubby has "man flu" we are being surrounded by germs! Take care, wrap up warm and drink lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early morning is my favourite time for feeling silence. I live on the side of a valley and the mornings are very still. At this season we get the mist rising off the river which is just beautiful to watch. It plants a little bit of peace before the busy day ahead.

    ReplyDelete

I'm back to blogging and very lonely! Let me know you were here!!